Wednesday, November 3, 2010

First MEU Deployment...

Please always remember with anything in the Marine Corps nothing is ever set in stone so do not hold your breath for any time frame, departure date, homecoming date, meeting time, moving date, leave period, bonus pay date, ect.

The summer of 2009 was over and MEU (ship) deployment was coming fast and I had to do something! I eventually got the opportunity to volunteer more and more for the Family Readiness Officer of Anthony’s unit. Keeping busy during the deployment was my coping method. Organizing things for and working with others helped me not focus every little stressor during Anthony’s absence that were not within my reach and that I couldn’t control.


Anthony’s unit was going to be part of a Battalion Landing Team or BLT. Not quite like a BLT sandwich but it is exactly as it sounds a big mess of all MOS’s (jobs) put together on several ships to tour the seas for different reasons. Some ships had sailed a week earlier while one had stayed back for repairs. So thankfully we got additional time together! We didn’t really know when he was going to go but we knew it was coming up and fast. Early one morning Anthony called me after being at work for an hour and said “we’re leaving soon”. I didn’t really know what to think and how serious to take him since that can mean anything from don’t plan for the BBQ this weekend to don’t make the lasagna tonight. We were informed on a couple hours notice of this deployments departure. Right after he called the plan was to head home, pick up his gear and us to head back to work and prepare for the bus ride to the ship. So this was it for us, our big day, and the big emotional roller coaster moment. This was my first time experience since I’d never been to a send off, deployment day, or anything. We typically said goodbye at the airport and I’d go back to my normal or should I say (maybe not so normal) Geo-Bachelor life. I didn’t know what to expect, how to feel, how not to feel, how to react, how NOT to react, ect. I knew it was going to be sad because of his absence and missing the upcoming holidays. I also knew that I was a pretty strong and independent person and he was just going on a ship for 6 months or so and that I shouldn’t be too overwhelmed or overemotional. I knew we’d have email, Skype, phone calls and mail so this should be a cake walk. Thank goodness Maggie went through all of this with me and we both had each other to talk to, vent to, drink wine with and complain about the house falling apart because the men left. I believe the kids were able to cope better since Maggie’s kids, and so many other military families kids were going through the same feelings at the same time all in our little military community bubble.

The unit held a send off at the UMA lot (basically a huge parking lot) filled with 7 tons, busses, Marines, family members, kids, dogs and friends not ready to say their goodbyes just yet. We waited for hours and hours while gear was loaded, signs were painted and coffee was brewed. People had started leaving, the tears were falling, and the last kisses for months had begun. I had helped set up, clean up as the evening wore on, painted signs and spoken to all my company wives I knew and tried to assure them they’d be getting the latest information from our FRO and command ASAP. Anthony pulled me aside and told me that he felt it was time for me and the girls to go home. It was getting late, they were about to leave anyway and there was nothing more for me to do there. All of a sudden that was when the unexpected waterworks hit me. I didn’t know why I was crying. It really hurt to know that he wouldn’t be coming home with us, eating dinner with us, going to the movies with us and Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners. I was sad, hurt, mad at the Marine Corps, and kind of scared. Scared for what? I thought maybe the bus wouldn’t make it, that he’d get hurt on the ship, that he’d not get along with his co-workers aboard the ship, that he’d get hurt on missions when he got overseas, he’d get sick again with pneumonia, swine flu or bronchitis. There were so many insecurities I had about the whole situation but I know now that it is all normal, it’s a control factor for me. We’d prepared diligently for the deployment by preparing our families, organizing Wills, Powers of Attorney, passwords, ect. After all of that the one thing I couldn’t control and secure was my husband’s safety and health. To make matters even more emotional the ship stayed docked overnight and I persuaded Maggie to come to the send off with me at Point Loma.  With time though I eased up on my anxiousness thanks to Maggie, the FRO, my RBE (Remain Behind Element) co workers and friends because I think it would have turned into an obsession to know how he is, where he is, what he’s doing, what he’s not doing, ect.




After some pep talks from the Col’s wife, a MARSOC wife (Special Forces) and many others, I realized he’s at work and will call, email and write me whenever he gets a chance. I am very thankful that seasoned Marine Wives were able to put into perspective his job, his duty and my role in all of this. My job is to go on with life, maintain sanity and normalcy for my household, busy the girls, Wyatt Earp, support him and send care packages. I tried to keep thinking and encouraging my wives to imagine what wives from the early 20th century went through not having the communication advancements we have today. No email, not always a phone to call and mostly just the postal service. The whole “Semper Gumby” status is definitely in effect whenever there is any kind of deployment. The definition is basically be flexible and prepared because information and things may and probably will change a few times due to many different reasons. On this particular MEU there were some “probably too much fun” ports (stops in different countries for rest and relaxation or mission readiness) for me and some that were a physical and mental challenge for my husband. This MEU situation came and it tested my strength as a person, a woman, and a Marine Corps wife. I got to see how it could possibly be for the next 20 years. OH! I can't forget how I started hanging with my latest muskateers during this deployment.  Gaby and Angela's story will come soon enough...for Gaby and I our husbands got in the men were in the "best shape of their lives" during this MEU and proceeded to tell us every phone call and email at least twice.  We tried but it just wasnt going to happen overnight.  LOL! The best thing about MEU deployments ladies is that our hard work is repaid in GIFTS!!!!  These men have time to shop at ports and bring back the BEST loot!  I swear if you need silk sheets, M.A.C. Makeup, jewelry or jewelry boxes, pearls, ect they will be able to find it!

With a strong support system and even stronger relationship together we got through the ups and downs of this deployment and can’t wait for what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment