Sunday, November 14, 2010

Volunteering for the unit...FRO's, FRA's, Advisor's oh MY!

The first or second time for you are at a unit sponsored event; it may seem awkward but your Marine should always make an effort to introduce you to those in attendance whether junior or senior. It will get eventually get easier but a smile and friendly conversation is appreciated by all. Believe me I know how uncomfortable it is being sociable with new people in a military environment which can be a little intimidating even for a people person like me. It is definitely better than being standoffish since this is your new “family” so make sure you meet the FRO (Family Readiness Officer) and his or her team.

I've learned the hard way that it is so true that there is strength in numbers so introduce yourselves to all of these people.  They will be the ones who will help you in good times and bad for small and large issues. If you wish to volunteer and be active now is the time to get a name and number to offer your assistance via email at a later time. There are quite a few volunteer positions readily available within the command depending on your availability. Family Readiness Advisors, Family Readiness Assistants, Family Readiness Volunteers, and Event Volunteers are just a few that help out the command and Marines in various ways at various times of the year. Family Readiness Advisors are typically the higher up wives of each company as well as the Col’s wife. They basically assist the FRO and aid the FRA’s as well as perform other duties as needed. Assistants (FRA’s) assist the FRO with the family’s needs of their specific company or squad. So if ECHO Co wives, parents or family members need a phone number or address to the commissary, MCCS, or base stables the company FRA’s are here for you. FRA’s also assist the FRO with more complex needs depending on your specific FRO’s confidence in your skills and knowledge of the Marine Corps resources and wives requests. There should be about 2 FRA’s for each company or squad in the battalion. Volunteers assist at events which require numerous people for various activities, games, handing out items, decoration, ect. It is a great position to take stress off of the FRO and isn’t a committed position such as the FRA. Either way there are meetings every few weeks or so to keep everyone in on the happenings of the command and to assist the FRO in pre-planning for events.

I haven’t really spoke on the positivity of volunteering but I wouldn’t be anywhere near the person I am right now if I hadn’t had been exposed to some very good people from my arrival here.  I also let myself be open to the possibilities of helping which is important. Some people just complain about the way things work and don't educate themselves on why it is that way or try and help to modify the situation.  At first I was apprehensive to be around these people thinking that if I screwed up anything it could possibly have a direct impact on my husband’s job. That doesn't typically happen though and I just wasn't aware of how it all worked.  I didn’t know at the time how the hierarchy goes and how I could put some of my communication and customer service skills to good use. I loved starting when I did, learning what I have and being exposed to the very optimistic and uplifting people. I eventually didn’t just say I wanted to help I took the initiative to go to the FRA Intro classes at MCCS (Marine Corps Community Services), L.I.N.K.S courses and took the privacy test needed in order to help with our unit. I made sure to try and helped our FRO at every location and in between as well because there is always something that can be done. The FRO works with the unit to plan how simple or extravagant the events will be for the most part. Some events can be very detail oriented and some have been plain and simple both have good reasoning to make it easier on the guests or command. I hope every Marine wife knows that this is a family organization and no matter if you’re husband is deployed, at home, WIA, or KIA we are all here for each other and as wives stronger with each other than apart. We gain strength and knowledge knowing what each other is going through especially from the experienced ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment