Monday, November 1, 2010

"WE'RE NOT IN TEXAS ANYMORE!!!"


Initially upon getting to our base housing community, settling into our beautiful new house and putting our foot in the door I knew I was not in Texas anymore. This land called California was a complete culture shock compared to what I have known for 20+ years in the bold state of Texas. We say what we mean and mean what we say, our integrity and character stands for more than money and are just all around naturally polite but stubborn people. A true Texan to me is someone who is strong minded, not scared to let you know their opinion, doesn't apologize for voicing their opinion, and would take their shirt off of their back to help out another person in need. No we all don't own farms, chickens, cows and horses. No we do not ride said horses to work or the corner store. I got that question from someone here in California when I was carded and just stared at the waiter like he was the crazy one. Come on guy!! Really?! LMAO!! But yes it is true that everything’s bigger in Texas from the food, vehicles, cities, people and our hearts. LOL. In California things are just not that way. For the most part people are not very cordial and typically don’t even look you in the eye. People here at first sight to me were a lot like the scenery very beautiful. From head to toe some of these people are just unbelievably perfect. 

My first encounter with a typical Californian happened at Wally World where a senior citizens car hadn’t started. I offered politely if he needed any assistance and offered to jump him with my Chevy truck still equipped with standout Texas license plates. He looked up at me with peering eyes and then looked back down under the hood of his car without saying a word to me. I thought, “What did I do wrong? Was I mean, rude or inappropriate? I don’t think so, okay fine then sit here and wait for your AAA then!” I understand people being cautious and everything now a days but my goodness. I took it very personal and was kind of hurt. I was just trying to help and he completely ignored me. What I have learned being out here a little longer is that there are salesmen everywhere. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe he thought I was going to try and get him to subscribe to Texas Monthly or something.

So since we were Geo-Bachelor at first, I knew nothing of Marine Corps life really other than basic boot camp knowledge and some other basic information from MarineParents.com. Marine Corps life and Civilian life are completely different. I knew nothing of the wives’ lingo, that a commissary was a grocery store, support groups, base housing and the different communities all over the base, there are schools on base for only military kids, the base is like a city, buildings all look the same for the most part and the only way to tell the difference is to know the area numbers, there are different times during the day when things come to a halt, the typical duties and expectations of a stay at home Marine wife, and just what to do with myself. It didn’t help that I didn’t know anyone or have a hobby at all. Anthony was preparing for an upcoming deployment (also called a work up) so he wasn’t at home as much. I was a recluse for the first few months because I didn’t know my way around. I was just a bad combination of sad and bummed out emotions and spent a lot of time upset feeling like I should have stayed in Texas. Being homesick really sucks! I miss the things one can only find in Texas like Mrs. Baird’s bread, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Whataburger, good country music and night dance halls, trail rides, real rodeos, a deep southern accent and everyone you walk by saying, “Hi ya’ll! Good mornin’!!” I knew though that the best thing was for our family to be together.

Southern California is extremely beautiful! I now have grown to love this region of the USA so much that I speak passionately about not returning to my scorching hot and humid home state that I love so much. The weather here is what makes it so ridiculously pretty. There are 350 days give or take of pure sunshine with a normal high of about 70* and lows in the 40’s. The coast is never far away, the mountains, deserts, San Diego, L.A. and even Las Vegas are all close and I’ve never seen anything like it until we moved here. Throughout the never ending changes together we will both go through this adventure. We will continue to look forward to the future with a positive outlook because with our Marine Corps family and many other friends we’ve gained along the way it can only get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment