Saturday, November 13, 2010

Veteran's Day...

Some of my favorite cadences (catchy songs the different branches sing while jogging to keep morale up and in step):

I don't know, but I've been told,
The Marine Corps is mighty bold.
And up upon the bolden scene,
Stands the United States Marines.
Sound off 1 2,
Sound off 3 4,
1 2 3 4 United States Marine Corps
The only ones with the guts to fight.
They fight all day, and stand guard at night.
Sound off 1 2,
Sound off 3 4,
1 2 3 4 United States Marine Corps
Now on land, sea or in the air,
They get the job done no matter where.
So when they come home from all the battles,
To show off the all their heroic medals.
The Marine Corps is the job for me.
Sound off 1 2,
Sound off 3 4,
1 2 3 4 United States Marine Corps!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mama, Mama can’t you see?
What the Marine Corps’ done to me...
They sat me down in the chair,
When I looked I had no hair
Mama, Mama can't ya see???
What the Marine Corps’ done to me...
I used to drive a Chevrolet,
but now I march around all day
Mama, Mama can't you see?
What the Marine Corps’ done to me...
I used to drive a Cadillac...
now I carry one on my back...
Mama, Mama can't you see?!?!?!?
What the Marine Corps’ done to me...
After I passed the really hard test...
They stuck a ribbon in my chest.
Mama, Mama Can’t you see?
What the Marine Corps’ done to me...
I'm walkin tall and feeling good,
I'm doing things I never thought I could.

Throughout these few days every year of remembrance, honor and celebration I personally wanted to take the time to say how humbled I am to have known, know, have met and work with so many brave, courageous and heroic current and prior service members. There are so many countless others out there who are just as outstanding as these service members who’ve left such a positive impression in our lives.

Wherever they are now I want to say thank you for all you have done, sacrificed and will continue to sacrifice for our country. Anthony & I go to Balboa Naval Hospital quite a bit for his appointments and see the results of slight and life altering injuries to these selfless Americans and almost everyone we see has a smile on their face. All politics, statistics and bull crap aside, these men and women signed up, trained, went to all of the wars and more recently Afghanistan and Iraq for the greater cause and the bigger picture; for you, me, our kids and our kids’ kids.

The many people and sometimes perfect strangers, who’ve helped us cope with the initial shock of the injury, transport to the states, and now recovery and rehab are all angels on earth. Giving back to those in need is the greatest gift you can give yourself and others. I will personally never forget any of our earthly angels and will teach my girls to give back to others and go my entire life donating to and volunteering for those organizations out there to help not only the service member but their families during a crisis. Whether it is sending care packages, doing a Hike for Heroes, visiting the injured in the hospitals, going to a memorial, helping with the Wounded Warrior project or otherwise the ideas are endless but help is needed in ways too great to put into words. 

So enjoy the parades, football games and days off during this time. Yet please educate the not knowing, teens and kids why they get a day off of school and those who’ve come before them to make it safer for them to live their lives. Age appropriate of course explain why the towns, streets, houses, and cemeteries are overloaded with American flags, red, white and blue wreaths and why veterans are in their Sunday best for ceremonies and parades. These events are for our Veterans and their families. Have a great weekend and God Bless the USA!!

1 comment:

  1. I too will spend the rest of my days forever grateful! Although I must say you should have put a tissue alert at the top of the page, lol.

    ReplyDelete